Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Our Favorite Halloween Books

Since I was a child, I've always been an avid reader and still enjoy reading now (my library card is well worn) and it's something that I want to pass down to my children. I've always looked forward to the day of reading to my babies and children and enjoying the same books I grew up with and seeing them through their eyes for the first time (Where the Red Fern Grows, Little Women, The Princess Bride, and Harry Potter are ones I'm really looking forward to!). For every holiday I've tried to pick up a few books to celebrate and read with Ellie. Some are just for fun and others help explain the meaning of why we celebrate (like Easter and Christmas books we have) and we have a few Halloween ones I wanted to share that we've enjoyed reading. They're just silly books, but it's a nice change for a month or so from our usual books.

 photo HalloweenBooksBlend_zps5ee8a2e9.jpg
Hoot: A Hide-and-Seek Book of Counting // Doc McStuffins Boo to You! //  Halloween Jack
 Goodnight Goon // Room on the Broom

Hoot- Ok, so this one isn't technically a Halloween book, but I included it because of the owls and owls are kind of Halloweenish. Sue me. This book is so cute! The pages are brightly colored, it's cutely rhymed, and I love the hide-and-seek theme of the book. 

Doc McStuffins- Ellie is all about Doc McStuffins right now and although I don't care too much for the story itself (I don't think it really follows the style of the show), the pictures are enjoyable and Ellie enjoys all touch and feel books. 

Halloween Jack- We bought this book last year and it's still a favorite. Each page has a fun picture of different Halloween characters- a vampire, witch, robot, etc. with a cute rhyme for each one. It's a simple book that we've enjoyed reading a million times. I was really excited about bringing this one back out to read. 

Goodnight Goon- If Goodnight Moon is popular in your house, this one will be too! It follows the same rhythm as the original and tells a very cute story of Halloween. I'm hoping to find other holiday themed books for this classic (there's even a parody version called Goodnight Ipad! LOL). 

Room on the Broom- This book is adorable and I wanted to get it last year, but couldn't find the board book version and I'm so happy to have snagged it this year. I love the story of making new friends and having room for everyone on the broom. Ellie likes to point out each character on the pages and it's become a fun game for us before bed time. 

Here are some other books I want to add to our collection in the coming years; 
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat! (Who doesn't love this song? We have the Christmas one and I'd love to own all the holiday versions), I'm a Little Vampire (it follow the rhyme of "I'm a Little Teapot"), The Night Before Halloween (same as the Christmas version, and there's more holidays!). Ok, so I'm obviously a fan of books with a twist on the classics. I just love the original books and I'm so happy there's new versions for different themes to share with Ellie.

What are some of your holiday favorites? 

4 comments :

Meg O. said...

We really need to go out and get some Halloween books! I only have like one.... haha.

Pamela said...

My son's name is Oliver and we call him Ollie. He was born on Halloween. And ... there's the sweetest, cutest book called Ollie's Halloween! Look for it. It's adorable. The whole series (Gossie the Gosling) is ADORABLE.

Kristen said...

Target has a ton!

Kristen said...

How cute!! I'll have to check them out!